Concierge, also known as Wellbot, is a chat bot feature that helps users understand their benefits and how to use them. Utilizing Watson by IBM, clients can receive the best information for their specific conversation. It utilizes information gathered from five health insurance carriers, flexible spending accounts and retirement programs. Employees are able to access a single, engaging and user-friendly experience that provides personalized insights and on-demand guidance on health and wellness via the web and the mobile app.
- Project: Concierge Chatbot
- Scope: Help users understand and utilize their benefits by using a chatbot conversational style
- My role: UX Designer as well as UI Designer
- Stakeholders: Concierge team, IBM Watson team, UX Design team, development, and product managers
- Challenges: How to we help users understand their benefits and receive the help they need?
- Basic process: Requirements gathering > Design/Copy > User Testing > UI Design > Collaborate and Co-Design with Development
Benefits can be confusing to navigate and understand. But for both the sake of the user and for health insurance companies, the savings can be great. Wellbot helps to inform users of their benefits specific to their life situation and also surfaces programs that help them manage their health. We decided to add opportunities for feedback, easy suggestions with pre-defined answers and a choose-your-own-adventure type of conversation.
Mobile App Ingetration
Wellbot's expression changed with responses to give the user feedback on their questions. This connects the user with the narrative and keeps them interested to discover the smaller details.
The app experience had to:
• Connect users to programs
• Be unobtrusive but a key point of contact for help
• Provide feedback and guidance
The chatbot widget is persistent across all pages and helps users navigate the site to find detailed information they might need that the chatbot doesn't offer. Giving the opportunity for feedback provides more in-depth information about the accuracy of the answers and it lets users know that their opinion matters.
There were many scenarios I designed for to anticipate how the different UX experiences would work. From giving the user the opportunity to give immediate feedback on each question, to how multiple-button responses would work; each use-case needed to be explored before development .
Overall, the revamped designs and additional context that was added increased usability and was well-received by clients and users. The usage of the hand-holding links sky-rocketed and nearly tripled click rates in just a month's time.